Focusing 2 for Sensitive People: a 6-week course
In Focusing 1 for Sensitive People, we entered a new world together: the inner landscape of the felt sense, heretofore mysterious and now revealed in its richness and complexity as we learn how to observe from a place of inner Presence. Having completed Focusing 1, you—
…understand more about the facts of sensitivity, how the trait affects you, and how Focusing can help
…know how to invite the whole felt sense of a situation
…have Focusing skills to be with a range of feelings, from elusive to intense—and to help your Focusing companions do the same
…have connections with Focusing partners with whom you can continue to practice
My partnerships have offered consistency in my focusing practice over a long-term period. I credit this consistency for the steady healing and growth that I have experienced with Focusing.
∼K.M., Technical Writer, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Now, in Focusing 2, we go deeper…
If Focusing 1 was like snorkeling, Focusing 2 is like scuba diving. It takes practice to dive deeper and stay down longer. In Focusing 2, you’ll learn skills to field a wider range of inner “somethings” with a sense of safety and confidence.
You’ll learn how to stay present when you encounter things that look spiny or fierce or menacing from the outside. And you will get more skills as a companion to help your Focusing partners stay present.
Move into the flow of advanced Focusing…
In Focusing 2, we begin to take off the training wheels to experience more of the art and flow of the Focusing process. We’ll cover—
- How to help the Focuser when they are merged with a feeling—a common challenge for HSP’s
- The simple phrase that can help you (or your Focusing partner) move from “telling the story” of a situation to sensing freshly what is here now about it
- How lead-ins can expand your sense of Presence, and how to create your own lead-in
- Advanced listening skills for the Companion, including expanded Presence language and ways to help the Focuser when the feeling disappears or when the Focuser wonders if they are “making all this up”
…and get more comfortable in your “sensitive skin”
We’ll continue to enjoy the flexibility and interactivity of a small class, which allows plenty of time to make sure you “get it” as we learn new concepts and skills. As in Focusing 1, you’ll practice with a partner weekly to reinforce your new learning and deepen your Focusing, and to sense with whom you might like to continue Focusing on the longer term.
As you get more Focusing practice and skills, you’ll find it easier and easier to “stay with” yourself in the supportive company of another. You’ll be able to make contact with inner parts that have been scared to come out. And you’ll see deep changes in your relationship with yourself and your sensitivity.
Your guide on this journey…
Emily Agnew serves creative, sensitive people who struggle with anxiety, shame, and perfectionism. As a certified Focusing Trainer and a certified Inner Bonding facilitator, she offers 1:1 sessions, the six-month 1:1 Inner Listening Intensive program, online classes, and teleseminars.
Emily writes a bi-weekly newsletter for introverts and sensitive people, The Listening Post, and contributes articles to the Inner Bonding website. She teaches “teaches teachers” for the Focusing certification program at Focusing Resources. She’s a professional oboist/oboe teacher/partner/mother/ friend/bookworm/ flower-grower/meditator/yoga practitioner…and an “HSP” (a highly sensitive person.)
Specifics about the class
- Dates: TBA: Six two-hour classes over six weeks (with practice sessions between each class, scheduled at your convenience)
Note: As with Focusing 1, class recordings will be available, but the success of the class depends on live attendance to take advantage of hands-on practice. You can miss one class and still get credit for having completed the standard Focusing 2 class.
- Where: We’ll meet on Zoom videoconference
- Materials for the class: We’ll use the same Focusing Student and Companion’s Manual, Part 1, that we used in Focusing 1, and Level 2 crib sheets will be provided
- Prerequisite: Focusing 1 for Sensitive People
- Tuition: $315 (deadline October 25)
As always, your satisfaction is my highest priority. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your experience, I will work with you to make it right or refund your tuition.
Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll be happy to answer your questions….and I hope to see you in the course!